Monday, April 30, 2012

Behold! Twelfth Night Quotes That You Really Should Know

I'm just giving you the quotations because I assume you can figure out what they mean. They're not in any particular order.

"If music be the food of love, play on" (Orsino to his court)

"Give me excess of it, that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die." (Orsino to his court)

"I will believe thou hast a mind that suits
With this thy fair and outward character." (Viola to Captain)

"Conceal me what I am, and be my aid
For such disguise as haply shall become
The form of my intent." (Viola to Captain)

"Diana's lip
Is not more smooth and rubious: thy small pipe
Is as the maiden's organ, shrill and sound,
And all is semblative a woman's part." (Orsino to Cesario)

"I have unclasp'd
To thee the book even of my secret soul.
Therefore, good youth, address thy gait unto her," (Orsino to Cesario)

"for I myself am best
When least in company" (Orsino to Viola)

"Whoe'er I woo, myself would be his wife" (Viola in an Aside)
BOOM! Random penguin..shit gets
 boring...I know. I had to type it up 

"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit." (Feste to Olivia)

"I wear not motley in my brain." (Feste to Olivia)

"the hood does not make the monk" (Feste to Olivia)

"Methinks I feel this youth's perfections
With an invisible and subtle stealth
To creep in at mine eyes. Well, let it be." (Olivia in soliloquy)

"Poor lady, she were better love a dream.

Disguise, I see thou art a wickedness" ( Viola in soliloquy)

"Journeys end in lovers meeting" (Feste's song)

"I was once adored too" (Sir Andrew to Sir Toby)

"She never told her love...
...She pined in thought,
And with a green and yellow melancholy
She sat like patience on a monument,
Smiling at grief. Was not this love indeed?" (Cesario to Orsino)

"I am all the daughters of my father's house
And all the brothers too." (Cesario to Orsino)

take cuteness pon your ass! 

"This fellow's wise enough to play the fool,
And to do that well craves a kind of wit." (Viola in soliloquy)

"I am not what I am" (Cesario to Feste)

"If this were played upon a stage now, I could
condemn it as an improbable fiction." (Fabian to Sir Toby, Sir Andrew and Maria)

"A little thing would make me tell them
how much I lack of a man" (Viola in an Aside)

"Virtue is beauty, but the beauteous evil
Are empty trucks, o'er flourish'd by the devil" (Antonio to Cesario)

"Nothing that is so, is so." (Feste to Sebastian)

"There is something in't
That is deceivable" (Sebastian in a Soliloquy)

"I'll be revenged on the whole pack of you!" (Malvolio to well...everyone on stage for Act 5)


If you were paying attention you may have realized I used Viola and Cesario in different places, I used Viola when she's not in disguise (this includes soliloquies and asides) and Cesario when she played that part.

These are definitely not the only quotes that are important, you can look through and see what else you can fish out but learn these and use them properly and you'll do well. Try to get in at least three quotes in your essays, but please don't just throw them in, explain and relate them and all that good stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment

give me some feedback you greedy leeching bastards!